Thursday, January 16, 2014

Interactive Notebook Survey

I didn't want to wait until the end of the year to give out a survey for our interactive notebooks.  After their quiz today, I gave them this to fill out.  Here's a screen shot...



Of the 33 surveys, here are a few things I found out...

- Question #1 - only 16 said they had 100% completed!  That's sad!

- Question #2 - a one, no twos, 16 threes, 12 fours and 4 fives

- Question #3 - 7 ones, 13 twos, 11threes, 2 fours and no fives

- Question #4 - a one, 2 twos, 5 threes, 13 fours and 12 fives

- Question #5 - no ones, 2 twos, 10 threes, 13 fours and 8 fives

- Question #6 - Triangle Vocab Puzzle, Law of Detachment/Law of Syllogism, Parallel Lines Flashcards, Triangle/Angle/Side Congruences, Equilateral and Isosceles Triangles, Conditional Statements, Classify Triangles Cut Out Activity, cute little folders for vocabulary, Triangles Congruences wkst (Math Teacher Mambo's Worksheet), Sum of Angles in a Triangle, Exterior Angle/Remote Interior Angles, calendars - I got to customize them to my personal liking).

- Question #7 - Most liked them all, but some said: Triangle Congruences, Proof Reasoning, Distance & Midpoint, Biconditionals IFF, Constructions, lots of vocab in first unit, Segment & Angle Addition, Parallel Lines Flashcards, Table of Contents (student says, "I get off track"), Exterior Angle/Remote Interior Angles.

- Question #8 - Most wouldn't change anything, but some said: the words would glow in the dark (that would be awesome!!), there would be more cutting and gluing, table of contents (not sure what they didn't like exactly), having to number the pages, start putting it in a binder instead of a notebook (spiral) because its not as sturdy and you can't add paper if you need to (we haven't needed to add paper, but I think they may have pulled some out for other assignments), add more notes writing down step by step what to do (good idea!), how much work we do in it like how thick the back is (vocab section), never to have flashcards in it again - I'm anti-flashcards (we only did them once! LOL), that it wasn't for a grade (I give them 2-3 days notice that I am grading it and take it as a quiz grade. This is from the student that admitted to only having done 25%, doesn't have a most or least favorite activity, but Q#4 was a 4 and Q#5 was a 3.).  And my favorite comment: Nothing. You're doing a good job.  It helps me practice and keep well-organized notes.  SUCCESS!!! 

I guess in every survey, you have a couple that Christmas tree it or leave blanks, but overall they have great feedback.  Glow in the dark words would be a super addition, but probably not real practical! Next year, I will continue to use 3-subject spirals, but will suggest the ones with plastic covers.  (I recommend that they keep it in their 3-ring binder, but many choose not to, causing it to get rather beat up.)  I don't want them to be able to add paper because it takes away from their ongoing organization, but they also need to learn not to pull paper out of it.  Grading will still take place as is.  Sometimes assigning a grade keeps kids working, because they know the assignment has value.  Some of mine will do it because I assign it, but those are a small portion.


No comments:

Post a Comment